The Houlton Band of Maliseet Indians' Education Department provides educational and employment support services to the Tribal Membership. Educational Services provided: *some services may be limited to HBMI Service Area (Aroostook County):

Higher & Adult Vocational Education

  • Post-secondary education services – Counseling, guidance, and financial assistance for Tribal members who are admitted for enrollment in an accredited Maine University/College program.
  • Professional certification Programs – Counseling, guidance, and financial assistance for Tribal members seeking professional training for job skills and career goals at accredited Maine College/Vocational schools or programs.
  • (Attendance to out-of-state university/college programs maybe offered on an individual basis dependent upon available funding)

Serves eligible students actively enrolled in postsecondary courses with financial and counseling assistance.

Adult Education

  • Provide counseling, guidance and financial assistance to Tribal member adults who have had formalized education interrupted. Goal is to provide the appropriate supports to help them obtain a high school education. Programs include but not limited to: HiSet + Diploma Programs (High School Equivalency Test)
  • Vocational classes
  • Life skill classes
  • Special classes (i.e. Elderly, disability) (For local programs please visit,

Employment Assistance

  • Provides counseling and financial assistance to tribal members who have a job skill to obtain and retain permanent, full-time employment.

Johnson O'Malley

  • Supplemental services for students grades k through 12. Home School Liaison worker provides counseling and guidance to students and their families while maintaining professional relationships with schools, administrations and local service agencies.
    Serves our Tribal Service Area only.

WIOA (Workforce Innovative & Opportunity Act)*

  • Provides employment/training/support opportunities for Youth and Adults. Participants must meet program eligibility:
  • Must be under/unemployed
  • Meet federal income guidelines
  • Youth must be between ages 16-21 (up to 24 if dropped out of school)
  • Adults must be 18 or older

Dependent on Funding and workforce positions.*Some services may be limited to HBMI Service Area (Aroostook County)

Job Search

  • Individuals must live in Aroostook County (Service Area).
  • Individuals must be on HBMI Tribal Roll and 16 years of age or older.
  • Provides information on resume writing, interview techniques, job search and career counseling.