Houlton Band of Maliseet Indians Social Services and Indian Child Welfare Departments are located within the Village on Tribal land. Our Social Services Department Works one-on-one with members of our Tribal Community. Social Services programs include:

  • LI-Heap & Weatherization Services
  • Child Care
  • General Assistance
  • Clothes Closet
  • Homemaker Services
  • Transportation
  • B T I O and Miscellaneous Assistance

General Assistance (BIA Program)

Application required. Income based, and one must comply with Job Service and apply at your local municipality for assistance, before we can assist and be actively looking for job. Any payments will be made directly to applicant, and amounts are pro-rated based on date of completed application.

Burial Assistance (BIA Program)

Application required and this is income based and other resources/ life insurances have to be considered. Local municipality application documentation is required. Max amount is $2500.00

Child Welfare (BIA Program)

This program is for parents that are in need of emergency assistance for their children, that have applied for TANF/SSI. Payments will be made to the vendors, where assistance is needed. Documentation is required showing the application has been done and is pending. Requirements match the General Assistance criteria.

Child Care Development Program (DHHS)

  • Child care is income-based and is for parents that are working/ attending school.
  • Application required, proof of income/school hours
  • Day care providers are required to get State Bureau of Investigations/State DHS background checks.

LiHeap (Dept of Energy)

  • Applications required and there are income guidelines.
  • ECIP - is a part of the LiHeap application, where you can receive
    emergency assistance for Electric disconnect or for fuel if your tank is
    ¼ or less.
  • Weatherization – If eligible home owners are able to get assistance with roof repairs, broken windows,doors and plastic.

Emergency Assistance through Tribe

  • Maximum amount is $500.00 within 5 a year period.
  • Must provide income and receipts to show a need.

Elder Fuel

  • Elders must apply and if they are eligible for LiHeap they will receive 250 gallons of fuel from November through March.
  • Elders not eligible for Liheap will receive 500 gallons of fuel November through March.

Stabilization Grants to Child Care Providers Available Now

The Houlton Band of Maliseet Indians Child Care Program is pleased to announce the ARP Act Stabilization Grant to Child Care providers who are within our CCDF defined service area. The American Rescue Plan Act was created to stabilize the child care market during and after the COVID-19 pandemic. The goal of the ARP plan act is to continue to access the affordable care for families, and support child care facilities and employees so that they can take continue to serve their community. Providers may apply for the following categories:
- Personnel costs, benefits, premium pay, and recruitment and retention.
- Rent or mortgage payments, utilities, facility maintenance and improvements, or insurance.
- PPE equipment, cleaning and sanitation supplies and sanitation services.
- Training and professional development related to health and safety practices.
- Goods and services necessary to maintain or resume child care services.
- Mental health supports children and employees.
- Minor renovations of facilities (No structural changes to building).

An eligible provider defined by the ARP Act is either:
A provider who meets CCDF eligibility, and all CCDF health and safety requirement that date of the application submission, or
A provider who was licensed, regulated, or registered and met all applicable state/local health and safety requirements at the date of enactment of the ARP Act on March of 2021.

Grantees will be required to keep a record of expenditures throughout the cycle of the grant. Further information on record requirements is listed in the application. The Houlton Band of Maliseet Indians Social Services Director will contact providers to inform them of their grant award status and
any additional guidelines.
Please complete all sections of the application (in the link below) to the best of your ability. if you need assistance with your ARP Act Stabilization Grant Application, call (207)532-7260 or email any questions to the Tribal Social Services Director, Tanya Raymond, at traymond@maliseets.com.


Mailing Address

13-2 Clover Circle
Houlton, ME 04730